Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nov 12 Forge: Imagery

For next week, our guiding topic is Imagery. This is very widely emcompassing literary term. One meaning is looking words/phrases that appeal to the senses. One way of thinking about it, as I discussed on my radio last week (Wed, 7-7:30, CFMU 93.3), Imagery is writing that makes you want paint a picture of the scene. The other meaning I mentioned I suggested saw imagery as having two sides: the literal and the figurative, that is, what is actually happening in the song and what the metaphoric meaning of that action is.

I have new song about Hamilton that I'm hoping will be featured on CBC, that I might play. It uses an extended image: "If Hamilton were a woman... I posted it here: www.myspace.com/wilsonfamilyforgery

Meghan LeBlack of Purl of Surf also offers us some great imagistic material for us to sink our teeth into, lyrics which are printed below. (And don't forget that Matthew DeZoete is offering us a set as well!)

HEAVY
This city is a mood
Melancholy anchors in the dusk
Atlas, it’s all you:
Weighted by fog, this cloud is seriously HEAVY. Do lift it, won’t you?

This stranger is my vibe
Sent forth in waves to administer the shock
Eros, be my guide:
The shyness that binds me is so very seriously HEAVY. Do lift it, won’t you?

Won’t you? Won’t you?
This encounter’s flower is blue
See it blooming, open to the public
Gaia, it’s all you:
The dirt on these petals is so very seriously HEAVY. Do lift it, won’t you?

If all of the gods could break us free from all that our bodies seem to feel
All of these inhibited spirits could reveal their real presence and confidence

This lava is my ride
Traveling slowly on blankets of sandy fire
Volcan, be my guide:
Forged by my heated past, this coat is seriously HEAVY. Do lift it, won’t you?
Won’t you? Won’t you?

©Meghan LeBlanc 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!